Saturday, March 27, 2010

My public, I've ignored you. It's not for not working....I just am really bad at remembering to share my progress. I feel that the last two months have been productive, in that I've been able to ease my anxiety from the beginning of this semester and actually believe in what I'm working on. Sometimes when I am in the midst of creating something personal as artwork, I wonder if it is valid and/or important. I couldn't stop thinking of what Endi said to me near the beginning of IP. I don't remember the details, but it was along the lines of "So what?" I think I've made my work more important in my eyes, and hopefully in others'. I think the dolls I'm making are bridging the boundary of craft and fine art, and referencing each in interesting ways. I remember when we had those group switch meetings last October. I was in Hannah's group,and she questioned how I would make it evident that my dolls weren't cute craft projects (heaven forbid!). I don't like putting down "craft", as much of my techniques and materials are essentially craft-based. Virtually all of my materials could be obtained by a trip to Joann Fabrics or Michaels, and I think my ability to paint on a 3-d, curved surfaces comes from my years of training in painting little ceramic statuettes with my grandmas and mod-podging easter knick-knacks with mom. So instead of shunning arts and crafts, I embrace them. I would be lost without them.

Another wonderful event in my life has occurred. I have been accepted into Wayne State's Art Therapy/Counseling program. By the time I am finished, I will be a licensed counselor and board certified art therapist. I found out last week, and it has given me a bit of a boost in confidence. My motivation is to finish this project and finish it well so that I can start the rest of my life. Wow.

Pictures (a lot of them to make up for lost time) will be coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment