Thursday, October 22, 2009

10/12-10/18

This week I've been reflecting about everyone's presentations and I am really itching to get some more work done. Looking back on the very first puppet I made this year, I really see a progression that makes sense to me and that narrows in on my ideas both conceptually and visually.

With the weekend being fall break, I had some obligations out of town as well as really intense studying, so I did not get as much done as I would've liked. What I want to focus on for the next week is producing, especially some of the designs I drew up last week. It's hard for me to work small in painting with oils, because most of my brushes are too big to paint a face the size of a postage stamp, but maybe I will at least try it to see these mock-ups come alive so I'm not bogged down in making real-size end-products. This is the time to see what will work and what won't, and so once I get the bodies all set for the two larger dolls that I have in production, I'll get on that. I will also make some more drawings illustrating attachment and how that could enhance my dolls.


So...big plans, and a need for some production. Time to get working. (Arms and legs have appeared for one doll and in the works for the other. Woo!)

1 comment:

  1. Heather,

    Keep posting new work on here. We'll continue to surpise you with comments. I'm glad we got to talk a bit today. We left on the comment about environment. That might be a way to evoke the emotional attachment without saying it so literally with the bodies.

    I would try to write detailed descriptions of moments when you felt a strong attachment or detachment. See what details remain strong in your memory and use those in the work. Maybe it was a sound, lighting, a smell, etc.

    Danielle brought up a good point that children might find the dolls frightening. I would add that adults probably wouldn't want to touch them either for fear of damaging them. We hadn't talked about whether they would be interactive, but if that becomes part of the concept those are things to consider.

    ReplyDelete