Thursday, October 22, 2009

Studio Log 10/5-10/11

So this was the week before the presentations in class, and I've been really thinking about what aspects of memory I want to deal with in my project. By chance I happened upon a book in Borders called A General Theory of Love, and I've started reading it. This made me recall the theory of attachment from psychology, which says that childhood bonding with their parents and other loved ones influences how these children interact with others in adulthood.


This was extremely interesting to me, because most of my work in the past relates to familial connection, home, and loss. The word "attachment" also has visual aspect that could really enhance the relationships between the dolls I am creating.

Springing from this, I started sketching small drawings of possibilities for doll interaction. What I am most concerned about is the overall set-up for these dolls...how will attachment be expressed and how should I design the dolls to function?

During this time I also started making a body for one of my dolls, which proved slow-going because it was all handsewn. Primarily I just wanted to get a 3d body out there because it felt like I have been thinking through my concepts and working on the heads I showed last week.

So...things I've been thinking about...Tony Oursler's work, attachment theory, my past work, where I want to be, art therapy, possible doll designs. More next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment