Thursday, November 5, 2009

Among Other Things I've Taken Up Smoking

I've been reading this book entitled Among Other Things I've Taken Up Smoking by Aoibheann Sweeney. It started out as pleasure reading...I love getting lost in fiction, and I feel more inspired by stories about families and relationships than I do about facts I guess. Anyway, the story is about a young woman who grows up on an island off the coast of Maine with her father. Her mother died when she was young, and her relationship with her dad was often strange and quiet. She went through high school and didn't really like it...and didn't go to college, so her dad got her a position at a classical literature institute in New York. The story is about her coming of age in the city, and her being confused by life, love and finding happiness.

I thought the novel spoke a lot about attachment...how her relationship with her father affected how she interacted with New York City. She could never step outside herself...outside of that Maine mindset and fitting in with other people who were vastly different from her was difficult. Not in any bad way per se...like she accepted those around her and everything, but she interacted with others based on how she learned how to interact back in Maine. It was very interesting, and I could relate to it a lot.

A lot to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment