Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Space

I am confronting some issues related to exhibiting these dolls, and I thought I would "talk out loud" about what I could do. I am pretty positive that I like how the dolls are working on the floor. It's important to the work that the dolls exist on the same plane as the audience, to create a physical connection. I happened to talk to one of the other GSIs one day and he asked me how I would integrate the doll and the floor, or at least utilize the floor's potential for what it could contribute to the artwork. This is a topic I've talked about before with Danielle and Michael, and I didn't really have any good ideas. This was earlier, back when I was thinking about creating more of a "scene" in which to stage the dolls. I currently want to avoid using props, like backdrops I think. The piece is more about the human connection and less about...rooms? I don't know. I suppose I will still think about this. Isolation of these characters seem important right now.

I'll be experimenting with what I can do with the floor to make the dolls seem like they belong there. An idea posed to me was using a sand base, as the GSI said he had seen other installations that used sand, but as he noted, that will change how the piece is seen. What I got from that idea however, is a platform on which to place these dolls. I thought about maybe painting the floor underneath the dolls, with the shape following the outline of where the doll rests. I could either paint an outline or a filled shape. Anyway, that is just an idea. Since I submitted my grandpa piece to the show, I don't have that to experiment with as far as this goes, but I can do a mock up perhaps with the dolls I have already. I need to fix those up and finish them. They are kind of rough around the edges, and I need to change some pieces and repaint/make clothes to get them up to snuff. I'll also be starting a new doll--introducing Grandma this time, probably. Okay. I need caffeine.

No comments:

Post a Comment